[fab] 2 more slashdot questions

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Aug 10 05:19:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 16:49 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> 3) What's changed?
> (Score:5, Interesting)
> by KDan
>
> You mention that opinions are rooted in the world of 5 years ago. What do
> you think has changed in the linux world since then, and how does it
> affect Fedora development?

We're moving away from the platform being the end-all-be-all. The
exchange and storage of data is moving out onto the web (insert various
web 2.0 statements and jargon here) so linux and distributions have to
adapt to no longer being the thing people are using. Operating systems
are merely conduit to reach the items people want (which is sometimes
other people). Fedora will need to change to be more fluid and less
bulky to be better customized to each individual user - to serve as a
better conduit for that user to reach the people/things/data they want
to reach.

With each progressive release we've been moving, little by little,
further away from the monolithic FEDORA CORE and more toward a lithe,
flexible, maleable Fedora Linux. With FC6 the installation will no
longer be bound to the single set of packages we consider core but will
allow the user to install any set of packages from any of the
network-accessible repositories fedora (and potentially others) make
available.

In the future customizing your own distribution of linux based on your
needs should become even easier.

> ====================
>
> 4) Worst Aspect of Fedora?
> (Score:5, Interesting)
> by eldavojohn
>
> On the Fedora Project website, there are plenty of reasons listed for
> Fedora to be your operating system of choice. In your eyes, what is the
> most lacking aspect of Fedora as it exists today?

Contributors other than packagers. Packagers are great, we love them,
but we need other folks too. We need more people who want to work on
code, work on docs, work on infrastructure, work on art. We need people
who want to help organize the aforementioned people, too and then
organizers for the organizers. We need people who are willing to work on
the minutiae that makes fedora work.

"Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe
free."

ok, well that might be a bit melodramatic but you can get my point.

-sv