[fab] slashdot question -- driver support

Tim Burke tburke at redhat.com
Thu Aug 10 11:50:12 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:

> 2) Drivers Vs Linux
> (Score:5, Interesting)
> by eldavojohn
>
> A lot of people I talk to say they don't like Linux due to lack of
> driver support. Is there anyway you see this problem being eliminated?
> How do you court vendors to support their hardware on your flavor of
> Linux?

This response would warrant some spin cleanup, but how about something
along the lines of:
- RH has strong established relationships with the major IHVs and we
work closely with them for Linux hardware enablement.  These vendors
recognize the importance of community involvement through Fedora as a
means of helping to ensure robust operation.
- RH also works with many companies to help coach and mentor them to the
merits of open source development.  We help guide them through the
process of the upstream development model.
- The increasing clout of Linux is making hardware vendors increasingly
receptive.  The battle is not over, but it is an improving trend. For
example, AMD's recent announcement that they are considering open
sourcing the ATI graphics driver.

Perhaps these are too RHEL-ish, but....