[fab] slashdot question: dependencies

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:15:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 00:56 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 21:52 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > >
> > > evince is linked against libnautilus-extension. It's entirely possible
> > > that that could be split out of nautilus proper, I suppose.
> >
> > That answers the example, not the question.  Even on fedora-devel, we've
> > been getting "why does it pull in umpteen packages as dependencies for
> > foo?"
> >
> > I don't think this is attributed to yum/rpm really.  Maybe it's simply
> > how gnome and it's applications are packaged.
> >

> or, it's a function of how gnome and it's applications are written.
>
> I don't think the gnome or kde developers really expect you to just
> install a single application. They expect you to have the whole kit and
> kaboodle (or git and gaboodle :-D) and go from there.
>
> Is that an unreasonable answer?

Nope, but it's also true that sometimes these pieces can be split
properly by a knowledgeable packager (or one with time on his/her
hands).  A good answer would include that information too, as well as a
gentle and encouraging nudge toward Bugzilla, which still makes the
world go 'round.  Sometimes.