[fab] slashdot rough draft

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 14 14:50:11 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> It might be worth pointing out some of the stuff Unbuntu will do that
>> Fedora cannot given it's stance on things like MP3 support and binary
>> modules.  They provide explicit instructions on how to install the
>> necessary packages from official Unbuntu repositories.  They have a
>> small statement as to why these aren't enabled by default, but that
>> doesn't make much of a statement IMHO.
>>
>> So while it might "just work" in Unbuntu, it comes at a cost some are
>> not willing to pay.  Basically, you can use it as a way to further
>> impress upon the masses Fedora's commitment to FOSS.
>
> Is there a place where Ubuntu actually lays out their official policy on
> that stuff?  I wouldn't want to throw that part of an answer in without a
> link.
>
> --Max

Their wiki is full of information on non-free software including
detailed instructions such as these despite stated philosophies on other
pages

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

Commercial (read non-free repository)
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/07/06/02/

Micheal Tiemann pointed out that Ubuntu is also distributing Nvidia
drivers within their CD's despite their claims on only doing Free software

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-April/msg00170.html

Mark ShuttleWorth confirmed that they do and he denies that it is a GPL
violation since they do dynamic linking in

http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2006/debconf6/theora-small/2006-05-15/tower/Ubuntu_annual_report-Mark_Shuttleworth.ogg

Debian too has a non-free repository which they deny is "officially"
part of Debian.

When you refer to distributions having a common goal, its good to point
out that our goals are not so common and Fedora has a much more stronger
commitment to Free software (which the current work done by Spot is
going to make more explicit and clean).

Rahul