[fab] Re: openmotif

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 30 10:17:18 UTC 2006

Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Frankly, I'm a little surprised, after our previous discussions on
> whether we should pursue FSF endorsement in some fashion, that we would
> wring our hands much about this.  We've agreed that openmotif is not
> free.  Fedora only ships free software.  Rahul, you have said this to
> many people, many times.

Yes but I have also been telling many people that we should do things in
a way that doesnt affect end users and our contributors.  Pretty much
all of the openmotif dependencies in Fedora Core and Extras can be fixed
with lesstif.  #3 is disruptive. #1 doesnt make much sense to me since
we havent included libraries in Fedora Core unless we had actual
applications in Fedora Core dependent on them. Since there is already
support to move all the openmotif dependencies into Fedora Extras, I
dont see why we need to retain openmotif in Fedora Core. We moved GNOME
1.x libs to Fedora Extras soon after GNUCash got into the GTK 2.x
bandwagon.  The current situation isnt very different. The dumping
argument is a red herring. Anyway, I am not going to waste more
bandwidth on this. If you guys believe that dumping out all the
applications now makes more sense, go ahead.

Rahul