[fab] Re: openmotif

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 30 12:46:10 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 08:39, Rahul wrote:
> I am repeating myself here but the point is that we never had libraries
> in Fedora Core without applications dependent on them and since we are
> moving the dependencies  I dont see any reason for openmotif to be a
> exception and stay in Fedora Core.  Again the alternative is to drop
> openmotif and all its dependencies in both Fedora Core and Fedora Extras
> immediately and fix applications to work with lesstif and import them
> back again. Think of it and make a decision either way.

No that is not the only alternative.  Keeping to some historical 'rule' about
whats in Core vs Extras in this case is just silly.  Really silly.  Move the
openmotif dependent packages into Extras that makes sense overall to be in
Extras.  There they can be modified to work with the lesstif package.
Openmotif can stay in core for a short period of time only as a courtesy to
those working on modifying the packages.  When the packages are modified, or
FC6 release date comes around (which ever comes first) openmotif just goes
away.

It is just silly to subvert Extras policy to import a package just to blindly
follow some historical rule regarding Core.  It shows that we think Extras
can be abused for some sort of "greater good" and that we don't really care
about the policies and procedures created by our community.  This is crap,
and I think its pretty clear that Extras wouldn't allow this anyway.  We
don't have the right to force them to take a package, nor should we.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora