fedora 7 schedule (was Re: Fedora 7 planing)

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Dec 13 15:24:00 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 12/13/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> > And so the 4th option which no one loves is:
> >    4. slip and hope that we can get the newer one fixed.
> >
> > Does that sum up a lot of what happens when fedora slips a release?
> >

> The fact is we need to plan on being flexible.  Rigid rules will not
> work with our current release methods.  As long as we're smart about
> what's going on during the test cycles we'll be in good shape.  I
> think it would also be good to give 2 or 3 people veto power during
> the test freezes so that if feature X will cause a huge issue there's
> not a time-wasting argument about whether or not it gets in.

To be clear, I'm not arguing for inflexible rules, I'm arguing for the
group to discuss *goals* and flexible standards now, and appoint
owners/deciders, so that when the deciders have to decide under
pressure at the end of the cycle, their decision is quick, efficient,
and reasonably matches up with the policies and goals of the larger
group- i.e., it is as close to correct as one can get under the
circumstances.

Luis