fedora 7 schedule (was Re: Fedora 7 planing)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 15:59:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 10:50:29AM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:

 > > 3 is the only one that is guaranteed to ship a stable product without
 > > causing a delay. 1 can also ship stable product without a delay, but
 > > only if you know you can assign someone to do the work in a finite
 > > timeframe. If 1 becomes "hope someone patches the feature" then 1 can
 > > mean delay. 4 almost invariably means delay.
 >
 > When we're talking about the kernel, though, 3 _isn't_ guaranteed to be
 > a stable product ;)  If you go back to a previous kernel release, then
 > perhaps you've just lost all the security improvements.  Or lost the
 > ability to support hardware that's been released in the intervening six
 > months since Fn-1.

There's also the knock-on problem with all the interdependant pieces.
Roll back the kernel, and oops, now you might need to roll back udev, hal,
wireless-tools, alsa-lib, etc, etc.   This is less of a problem than it used
to be, but its still a problem occasionally.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk