mailing-list reorganisation

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 20:18:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 20:56 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> >> A lot of people don't get the difference between fedora-devel and
> >> fedora-test list. And testing is a crucial part of the devel process,
> >> thus lets drop the test-list.
> > We have plans to post automated test suite results to the fedora-test
> > list on a daily basis once it is setup. I am not sure whether the
> > traffic for a merged list would be in a approachable level.
>
> Maybe automatic test could get still get send there if they are high
> volume. If not send them to fedora-devel with a unique tag -- people can
> route them to /dev/null if they want.

Is the package update announcements considered "high volume" already?
Even if it's not, we're planning to add a lot more automated reports. I
think this will quickly become a problem for people.

> But let's get rid of the separation between devel and testing for the
> other stuff as it complicates things to much and confuses things.

Well, maybe you're right - devel and test reporting *should* be on the
same list. When something breaks, it should be reported to (and
discussed with) the developers. That makes sense. But I still think we
need a separate list for the automated reports.

This also means that all discussion of QA tools, test documentation, and
stuff like that will end up on fedora-devel. Is that what we want?

-w