F7 Plan (draft)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 19 18:06:38 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> 4. A Fedora Desktop spin of F7
> Accountable: Jesse Keating (rel-eng), Jonathan Blandford, the Fedora
>   Desktop SIG (what, you say there isn't one?)
>
> One of our release targets. Needs defined by Test 2. Test 1 can
> be an old-style tree.
>
> 5. A Fedora Server spin of F7
> Accountable: Jesse Keating (rel-eng), YOUR NAME HERE!
>
> Another one of our release targets. Needs defined by Test 2.

Is there any specific plans for the desktop and server? The only new
feature is I see listed is fast user switching.  What other differences
are there besides the set of packages?  Are all these variants single
CD's each?

> 6. A Fedora KDE spin of F7
> Accountable: Rex Dieter
>
> Like Fedora Desktop, but with KDE.

Have we thought about having a DVD/CD set of *all* packages? That would
be useful for many places whether bandwidth or network access is
constrained.  The GNOME spin is called "Fedora Desktop" while the KDE
one is called "Fedora KDE". Might consider more consistent branding.
Speaking about KDE, are we looking at KDE 4?

> 10. Boot and shutdown speedup
> Accountable: me!, David Zeuthen, YOUR NAME HERE
>
> We do enough Stupid Stuff that we can make easy improvements to startup
> and shutdown time without large systemic changes. Includes: tagging of
> scripts that don't need shut down, profiling of boot, potential changes
> to how we organize disk blocks, and more.

Can we look at splitting up packages more during the mass review
process? There were many discussions in fedora-devel list and bugzilla
reports filed a while back.

> 14. MP3Buddy
> Accountable: Greg DeKoenigsberg
>
> Detect the usage of MP3 without appropriate support. Explain to the user
> why Freedom Isn't Free, but offer to point them to a site where they can
> obtain legal MP3 support (or other codecs for which legal support
> exists.)

I think we might be able to go a bit further than this. There is
something similar described in
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/easy-codec-installation

Also it would be useful to look having a good client similar to
bug-buddy but system wide for reporting bugs. Are we planning to have a
new bugzilla instance at fedoraproject.org?

> 21. Real-time kernel
> Accountable: Ingo Molnar, Dave Jones
>
> Because fake-time kernels are so last year

Is the motivation behind this the integration of Planet CCRMA? Are we
going to start allowing alternative kernel like this into Fedora?

Rahul