5k packages?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:05:01 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:46:49AM -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > > I just noticed that we passed through the 5k packages mark in extras.
> > > Kinda neat - seems to be continuing to slowly grow. :D
> >
> > well, 2500 (exactly) SRPMS, but yes, quite an accomplishment.
>
> I know this is sort of a bogus stat, but has anyone considered
> graphing this growth against the growth of debian and opensuse? One of
> the big criticisms of fedora/RH was always that, compared to debian
> and suse, there were many fewer centrally packaged programs which
> could be relied upon to cleanly install and run, so it seems like
> showing that Fedora is growing in this respect would be a nice
> marketing point.

Personally I think it would be a very bogus stat as one thing I have
heard over and over again is that Fedora Extras is not to be a dumping
ground. Quality is always important over quantity, and the people who
make the biggest case for this have been burned in the past by other
Cookers/Extras/etc. However, these are subjective like what is a good
wine and hard to graph without making it a "My Flag is bigger than
yours.." vs "Oh well my Flag has better values than yours" type
debate.

The items I have heard over and over for Extras is that People who
package up something should not just be someone who knows how to do
some tar commands, but should be taking responsibility for the care
and maintenance of the package. They should know the code well enough
to be able to patch it or at least get a working patch from the
maintainer on a problem.