F7 Plan (draft)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 15:22:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 18:55, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Very difficult to do with the Desktop CDs, given that openoffice.org +
> > translations is larger than a CD itself.  For server, sure it would be
> > nice to fit on a single CD.
>
> I think it is feasible to have both the GNOME and KDE variants fit into
> single CD's even with openoffice.org. There are even several Fedora
> based ones at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions/

Not with translations.  And before you suggest we drop translations, or drop
OO.org, that could be done by anybody in the community.  However the Fedora
releases the Fedora projects puts forth and mirrors across the world would be
suitable for use across the world, with the package set we deem is integral
to a Desktop OS, which would IMHO include Openoffice, and its translations.

> > Somebody could do that.  Given everything else that's on my plate, I'd
> > rather not.
> >
> >> That would
> >> be useful for many places whether bandwidth or network access is
> >> constrained.
> >
> > Burn a DVD set of the tree itself, ship it somewhere to "seed" the
> > mirror, go from there.
>
> I suspect it is far more easier to having it part of the formal releases
> . It is just a dump of all packages. Since we are going to move away
> from a rolling release model even for the current Fedora Extras, this
> shouldnt require much more additional work.

However its duplicating a massive amount of data into an iso format, and then
asking the mirror system to mirror that.  Rather intrusive.

> > Alternative kernels == doom.  Its going to be bad enough if we have to do
> > a standalone xen kernel that moves at a different pace than the other
> > kernels. kmods blow up.  Userland changes become harder to make.
> >  Security flaws...
>
> We do already have alternative kernels like the one for Xen. Real time
> is just going to another one on top.

Xen is not an alternative kernel (yet).  Its built from the same kernel
src.rpm and always kept to the same version.  Alternative kernels brings to
mind having different kernel versions built from different kernel src.rpms,
with different kernel-devels and debuginfo and....

Also, Xen isn't really a shining example.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora