kernels in the packaging universe (was: Re: F7 Plan (draft))

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 20 15:21:35 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham schrieb:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> Alternative kernels == doom.  Its going to be bad enough if we have to do
>>> a standalone xen kernel that moves at a different pace than the other
>>> kernels.  kmods blow up.  Userland changes become harder to make.
>>> Security flaws...
>> We do already have alternative kernels like the one for Xen. Real time
>> is just going to another one on top.
> But Xen is a large maintenance headache. RT adds on to this, *while
> changing core kernel code*. I'm hereby withdrawing this as a feature. :)

Well, I was against kernels in Extras in the past, too, and I agree that
maintaining them would be a large maintenance headache. But I more and
more think we should have a (semi-)official place for alternate
kernel-images (say RT, OpenVZ, OLPC, PS3, Vserver, Xen, Vanilla [would
be cool for debugging bugs to check if they are fedora-specific], mm,
latest-linus,...) in Fedora-land somewhere with a big, fat warning sign:
- Use at your own risk
- no guarantees for security updates
- be aware that these kernels might miss features like Xen, tux, foo or
bar that are in the main kernel package
- no precompiled kmods are available

CU
thl