[fab] Fedora wallpapers and legal reuse of mark

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Jul 9 21:28:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 13:26 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> This, to me, is a perfect example of why we *need* two marks: the free
> Fedora mark and the protected Fedora mark.

Are these visually the same mark or different?  I'm confused by the
terminology a bit.

> Strictly speaking, what Diana has done, in releasing all of these
> wallpapers as CC-BY-NC-ND, is *not even legal* in cases where they are
> derived from the Fedora logo -- is it?
>
> If we had a Free Fedora Mark, then we could dual-license the mark *itself*
> as CC Attribution/ShareAlike, and then Red Hat owned.  That way, RH would
> be free to use the Free Fedora Mark for any purpose, but any other
> wallpapers/backgrounds/anything else would *have* to be released CC-BY-SA.

I'm sure Mark will speak up if this concerns him, but I'll at least
raise what I understood to be the last legal word on the CC, "Not
without a warranty protection."  IANAL, TINLA, just reporting on my
understanding of acceptable Fedora Project licenses.  Which makes
perfect sense to me, BTW.

Don't ask how art can put a company at warranty risk, people have
creative ways of litigating in this country.

We're a little jammed, though, in that there is not a good enough art
license.  The OPL is book specific, although perhaps if we put the
reference paragraph in the image metadata itself?

I'm glad we don't maintain our own OSI-compliant license, like everyone
else does when they get in this jam.  Can we work with Creative Commons
to get the warranty provision resolved, or have them create a new
license, CC-BY-SA-NW (no warranty)?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project