[fab] Fedora wallpapers and legal reuse of mark

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 10 14:48:41 UTC 2006

Alex Maier wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 08:27 +0530, Rahul wrote:
>> That was what I was referring to earlier as brand dilution.
>
> Allow me to respectfully disagree. Brand dilution will not happen from
> giving the community a logo they can legally play and get creative with.
> It will rather happen if we do not, and the community has either one of
> two choices:
>
>         1. Use our one and only logo illegally, i.e. without our
>         permission, and in contexts where we would rather not have it
>         used;
>
>         2. Come up with their own version, which we all know can involve
>         puppies wearing blue hats.
>
> If we provide a sane framework for Fedora logo use, we will only
> strengthen our brand.

Except that noone would bother applying for permission to use the
official logo and would just use the "open" logo for all purposes. What
  is the use of having a official logo nobody is going to associate with
Fedora easily?

> Or have you had any difficulty recognizing the Debian logo and what it
> stands for?

The official Debian logo would be totally unrecognizable without the
tagging in the open use logo as part of it. Seriously, how many people
have ever seen it being used with Debian?

Rahul