[fab] Proposed Project: Fedora Testing

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 21:26:48 UTC 2006

Sorry guys, catching up on mail, but I did have one comment here:

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > 4. What does it mean to be a formal Fedora Project project, beyond the
> > name?  That is, is someone restricted from using the Wiki for the
> > project until then?  How about CVS?  Plone?
>
> This is one of the recurring questions in my mind.  And I don't have an
> obvious answer to it.

Yeah, I don't think the answer *is* obvious, but I think the answer is
important.

To me, the answer is *an identified leadership structure that makes
things happen*.  My take: any Fedora undertaking that is mature enough to
(a) develop a critical mass of people who *do* something instead of
talking about something, and (b) easily integrate other people who want to
help by handing them useful actions to perform... is mature enough to be
called a Fedora project.

Really, it's a project when the *participants* decide it's a project...
not when *we* decide it's a project.  The board should be encouraging
those "incubator projects" to *take action*, and should reward those that
*do* take action by giving them "official project status".

My $0.02.

--g