[fab] Legal contact policy and incentives for contributors

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 13 08:32:15 UTC 2006

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

> The pages on fedora.redhat.com are current, and that's a better way to greet
> visitors than a "This page has moved..." page.  fedora.redhat.com is also our
> current home for static content, and there's not much reason in trying to
> disable it when some pieces, like /docs, can't yet be moved.

/docs is the only major holdout currently and we are already working on
moving that over.

> Yes, we need a way to set up automatic redirects, but automatic redirects are
> not compatible with the current fedora.redhat.com infrastructure.  Once
> fedora.redhat.com doesn't need to serve *any* of the current content,
> including /docs, we can break it in whatever ways are needed to move it to an
> alternative system and get automatic redirects in place for everything.

I dont quite get this. How are we going to get automatic redirects in
fedora.redhat.com at any point at all if the infrastructure is not
compatible? Are we going to change the infrastructure?

> Whether we have automatic redirects or not, we will not get rid of our static
> content, point users to a wiki location, recreate our static content, and
> create an additional redirect from the wiki to that new static content.

Its not as difficult as you make it sound. "static content" can just be
wiki pages with ACL's. The number of static pages in fedora.redhat.com
is probably just a dozen and some of which are already duplicated in the
wiki.

   The
> static content will be permanently housed on the Plone site, and we don't
> want to redirect users anywhere until we can redirect them there.
>
> I'll admit that the current state of fedora.redhat.com isn't ideal, but it
> already points to the wiki for most purposes, and keeping just like it is
> until we can move in our better technological solutions isn't going to hurt
> anything.

Actually it does. There a number of old pages that google finds confuses
  users like Thorsten pointed out and having the website so spartan is
bad. It also splits traffic between fedora.redhat.com and
fedoraproject.org. As long as we have two different websites for the
same thing, we are bound to do redundant work. We keep talking about
setting up the plone page but I dont see anyone working on it (other
than a stock fpserver.fedoraproject.org) and I dont know enough about
plone to do things myself. So how are we going to progress on this? We
need a reasonable timeframe and being struck with no movement on plone
is not a option.

Rahul