[fab] A real communication problem

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:19:34 UTC 2006

dOn Tue, 2006-07-11 at 08:42 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 15:59, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > 2.  Translation/Infrastructure in Red Hat was supposed to provide a
> > gateway or integration with the translation system
> > (i18n.redhat.com) for
> > docs stuff.  This would ease the burden on our community
> > translators to
> > learn different systems, which is a real PITA for those who are
> > already
> > giving so much of their time.  Again, no word.
>
> So the hope as far as i18n.redhat.com goes (and I call it a hope
> because I dare not call it a plan) is to move those pieces of
> infrastructure over to the Fedora infrastructure. (There are also
> general CVS modules on the box that need to be moved over...)
>
> Unfortunately, it's just having a really hard time getting action
> from the right people internally. I can help with some of it, but I
> do not understand exactly how the site works and what pieces need to
> be moved over. Integrating those pieces with the account system is
> one big task remaining to be done.

And I do not understand it *at all*, since I've only seen it from the
outside.  And yes, I understand it's a big task.  Just for clarity's
sake, our communication breakdown starts inside the Red Hat wall
somewhere, but you and some other Fedora Infrastructure people are not
part of that problem AFAICT.  As I mentioned elsewhere, the smaller part
of the problem is progress; the larger problems is communication.  See
below...

> I suppose once it is moved over, this gatewaying/integration might be
> easier. If you were to create, say, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
> Infrastructure/Translation, and put on it your precise definition of
> "gateway or integration", and an explanation of what apps are
> actually running on i18n.redhat.com at present, I think that'd go a
> long way to nudging things another step forward :)

Karsten Wade has been bugging the exact same internal people, and
telling them exactly what we need.  I don't think a wiki page is going
to solve that particular problem, but I started one anyway.  He knows
better than I what the changeover entails, FWIW, so if he's moved to put
that out on the wiki, Godspeed.

Our vision is simply to have documentation available through this system
using the same checkout/in method, without having to dole out CVS access
to every single translator who wants to do work.  That's a barrier to
entry since it depends on the availability of those of us who can give
such access.  We don't have any grand plan, other than that we make it
easier for translators to grab PO for our documentation.

I put the meager requirements I could come up with on that wiki page for
reference:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Translation

Thanks for your time and thoughts, Elliot; you've always been a great
help to us on the Docs team despite your myriad other responsibilities.
Hopefully soon we will start to hear something further on how this
migration is going from the folks we're all bugging.