[fab] Licensing the Fedora logo

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 18:24:32 UTC 2006

To circle back on this:

The fundamental problem with any artwork that contains the Fedora logo is
this:

THE FEDORA LOGO IS NOT PART OF ANY COMMONS.  IT IS A TRADEMARK THAT RED
HAT INTENDS TO PROTECT.

Legally, I just don't see any middle ground *at all* here.  There is no
current OSS/CC license we could grant that would allow us editorial
control over the *use* of the mark -- which is the key demand of our legal
department.

The Fedora Logo is not redistributable without permission, period.  Which
means that the CC NoDerivs license would be unacceptable, and the OPL
would be unacceptable.

If we can't even allow *free redistribution* of the logo, then how can we
allow *free modification and redistribution*?  The answer is, WE CAN'T.
To repeat: NONE OF THE CURRENT OSS/CC LICENSES APPLY.  PERIOD.

Am I wrong here?  Mark?  Anyone?

===

If I'm right, it means that we must come up with an approval process for
both redistribution and modification of *any* artwork that contains the
Fedora logo -- a process that has the lowest possible overhead, and which
makes it *crystal clear* that the logo is NOT OPEN.

(This, by the way, is precisely why I've been advocating so strongly for
two logos.  Re: the "official Debian logo," maybe the reason no one ever
sees it is that Debian has a very difficult time doing anything in an
"official" capacity.)

--g