[fab] More musings on the Fedora Logo

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 15:36:58 UTC 2006

I've been banging the drum for two logos, but let's face facts... it's not
gonna happen.

I spent some time thinking about logo usage questions this weekend.

Here's what I think we need:

1. THE SIMPLE CLICK-THRU AGREEMENT TO USE THE UNALTERED LOGO.  For a
subset of usages, this agreement should be sufficient.  I know that Max
has been working with folks on the legal team to build a simple web
frontend that will collect data from requestors, present them with the
terms of use, and provide them with a logo package.  This will take a
person (currently me) out of the loop for logo approval in 75% of the
cases.  We still need to figure out which subset of logo usages is ok for
this kind of rubber stamp, though.  Probably:

+ Web sites that discuss Fedora topics
+ Servers that run Fedora (we really should make a "powered by" button)

2. LOGO ART COMMITTEE.  Lots of people want to use the logo to make their
own derivative artwork.  Given that we own the logo as a trademark, we can
*never* allow this to happen an uncontrolled manner.  This means that we
need a body to review requests to distribute any logo modifications.

This could potentially be a committee with very broad powers.  One could
imagine this committee approving, say, wallpapers and t-shirt designs and
all kinds of stuff.  Will this work?  Will the Fedora community bother
with this extra overhead?  Honestly, I don't know.  I don't think I would.

Anyway, more to get off my chest -- I'm done on this topic for a while, I
suspect.  These issues are why Luis is considering letting the GNOME
trademark lapse, heh.

--g