[fab] Re: [Famsco-list] Fedora Core 5 Re-Spin Plus! (fwd)

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Jul 17 18:47:06 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 13:20, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > Looky here!  Someone's doing something inventive with Fedora!
> >
> > http://www.linux-respin.org
> >
> > Anybody know who's behind this effort?
>
> As we have learned from Thomas Chung, it's led by Rob Garth
>
> http://fedoranews.org/cms/user/1148
>
> Greg and I will take the point on this.  It's important to me that it's
> handled in a friendly way, and we figure out if we can work with him, etc.
> and not have him get any sort of legal email, etc.
>
> Our response should be "cool, how can we integrate what this guy's
> doing into Fedora and make sure everything is compliant" and approach him
> that way.
>
> I'm particularly curious to know if he tried to submit the patches that
> he's providing back to us and got nowhere, or if he just never even
> bothered.

I never heard of any attempts to submit anything.

The legal issues that my 5-minute review has found include:

For the Fedora Project
 * Inclusion of third-party materials on installation media, with that media
carrying the "Fedora" trademark.  A violation of the trademark guidelines.
 * Inclusion of content from our wiki on the website.  The content is covered
by the OPL, which requires basic attribution for derivatives.  That
attribution is missing, leaving the site in violation of the OPL.
 * No clear offer for source code is provided for any part of the software.
Unmodified bits might be provided by the Fedora Project, but source for the
modifications, some of which (like the installer modifications) must be GPL,
is not provided or offered.  This is a violation of the GPL.

For Fedora Unity:
 * Massive parts of the Fedora Unity site have been copied.  The Fedora Unity
content is licensed under the OPL.  Again, no attribution is given.  This is
a second count of OPL violations.

I might find more on a longer review.  These are all things that must be
corrected.  I'll look deeper when I have more time.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/