[fab] [Fwd: Free software and Fedora: Dissected]

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 23:12:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:22 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 23:16 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > >From spot's list:
> >
> > > This license doesn't permit modified redistribution, so this is right
> > > out. On top of that, Fedora _IS_ patching it, so we're in violation.
> > > nothing requires aspell-nl explicitly, so moving this to FE makes sense.
> >
> > I'm wondering what would make this acceptable in FE.  Other packages
> > (eg. pine) having similar conditions have already been rejected.
>
> Yeah. I'll email the upstream author and see if I can convince them to
> drop the restriction.

... or not. Upstream seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

I hate to just drop support for this, given that it was in core, so I
looked at what Debian was doing here. They have an entirely DIFFERENT
set of aspell-nl files, these are GPL. I took those files and tried to
make a new aspell-nl package:

http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/aspell-nl-0.1e-1.src.rpm
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/aspell-nl.spec

I think I did it right, but I am not an aspell expert, nor do I speak or
read Dutch, so it should DEFINITELY be checked before being committed,
but if this works, this will get us past this item.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Technical Team Lead || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!