[fab] New project formation is out of control

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 00:24:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> Also, note that with the announcement of the "Red Hat Open Testing
> Project to get a name in the future" that there's some desire to see
> under the Fedora umbrella, there is some thought going into what's going
> to be needed for a "new project".  I expect that to not be a short
> process to figure out or get through, though.

This came up at the Fedora BoF.  What we need to do, quite simply, is
clarify (and then adhere to) two sets of guidelines:

1.  Official Fedora Projects behave as such.....
 	- clear leadership
 	- email list, irc, cvs (if needed)
 	- home on the wiki
 	- scheduled meetings, public minutes/summaries
 	- public roadmap
 	- accountable to Fedora Board for leadership and progress
 	- etc.

2.  Fedora Incubator Projects behave as such.....
 	- email list
 	- wiki page
 	- seeing critical mass of participation and progress
 	- guidance from the rest of Fedora
 	- etc.

These guidelines have come together organically -- most of us can probably
enumerate many of the requirements of each, as I have tried to do above.

Someone (it could be me, but I'd like to see someone else who has more
cycles and time to devote directly to it) needs to write a draft, and then
we can review it on this list and publicize it.

Any volunteers?  No reason we can't get this done by the end of the week,
if someone can step up and own it.

w.r.t the interviews -- I say let him run them, and it's on *us* to figure
out what part of the Fedora umbrella those should be under.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://people.redhat.com/mspevack/