[fab] Integrate Legacy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 14:22:44 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 18:52 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> A rough sketch of what I think needs to happen:
>         1. Having the version control system for Fedora Core be on
> cvs.fedoraproject.org
>                 This would allow you to just keep using the branches that were
> already in place for

This is certainly the long term goal, but in the mean time we should
_really_ get stuff into a CVS of some form.  I'm perfectly happy with a
snapshot of the CVS tree as it is released to Legacy.

>         2. Covering the details of setting up the Fedora build machines to
> allow building for those older distros
>                 You may have problems doing it with pre-RHL 7.3, because I know a
> few of the very old RHL packages would not build as non-root.

We won't be building anything pre7.3, and if I get my way, we won't be
building anything pre FC2/3.

>         3. Getting the publishing stuff going.
>                 I think a setup similar to Fedora Extras should work
> (extras64.linux.duke.edu has the master copy, and the
> internal RH plumbing gets it onto the main download site).

Should work.  Currently our single build box has the master copy that we
sync up to download.fedoralegacy.org at Duke, which is then hit by our
mirroring system.  So things wouldn't change too much.

> Step #2 perhaps blocks on #1, which will take a while itself, but we
> can do step #3 independently without waiting for anything, if you'd
> like. I do think there is some stuff we can do right now to make
> progress...

I'd rather not wait for #1 to get revision control in place.  It really
is important for being able to bring more developers into the project
and having some kind of sane workflow.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora