[fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 20:11:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> I'd call what happend there "the maintainer baked it once and then
> forget about that". Give FESCo free hand to revamp "Fedora Alternatives"
> and Ill show you that the community can do better.

> I know. That worked. Fedora could be so much better and ahead of our
> competitors if Red Hat would help with the birth of some stuff a bit
> more. That part of the reasons why I started this thread.

There aren't many people in the Fedora community I trust more than I trust
Thorsten.  He says we've got a lot of work to do in order to make Fedora
more open.  He's exactly right.

We've got a lot of work to do inside the fenceline, though.  Honestly, a
lot of that work requires the disentanglement of Fedora and RHEL -- we
need the ability to innovate freely in Fedora without adversely impacting
RHEL.  We didn't really have that opportunity in the FC6 timeframe.

But now we do.

Our real goal: to figure out how to open Core to community developers.
There.  I said it.  But it's going to take some *extremely* heavy lifting.

I know it's hard to hear "we're working on it," and you can only hear that
so many times.  But Max, Bill and I will be flying up to Boston and
spending several days talking through internal issues around Fedora with
the other engineers.  The goal: a proposal for a community roadmap for
FC7, which we will then present to community folks for additional
guidance.  I'd like to see something presented on this list by November
15th.

--g