[fab] Idea:T-Shirts at Fedora Events...

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at bobjensen.com
Mon Nov 13 23:09:37 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I wonder if this is a good or bad idea and would appreciate your input.
>
> Typically at events like FUDCON, or regional Linux shows, we hand out
> many free Fedora T-shirts.  Why don't we instead sell the t-shirts at a
> reasonable price (like $5-10) with all proceeds going to a selected
> charitable organization like Creative Commons, Electronic Frontier
> Foundation, or the FSF?
>
> http://wtogami.livejournal.com/11118.html
> We could also sell extremely popular, viral meme shirts like this for
> $10-$15, with proceeds going to these same charities.
>
> I think this is a good idea for two key reasons.
> 1) People who buy shirts are more likely to wear it, therefore more
> effective at promoting Fedora than indiscriminately handing out shirts
> to swag leeches.
> 2) Red Hat already loses money by giving away t-shirts.  We could
> instead leverage this for a good charitable purpose.  This makes Fedora
> look good as a supporter of greater community causes.
>
> There are of course venues where selling shirts wouldn't work too well,
> and we would give them away for free there.  But at community oriented
> events, this could work very well.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Any ideas of other major charities that are in-line with the values of
> the Fedora Project?
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

One potential area that would be a problem is Taxes, Some areas have
sales tax on clothing items, there is also the income tax issue.  Just a
couple nuggets to chew on, if you are selling something for a profit or
not some one wants a chunk.

--
Robert 'Bob' Jensen *        * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen
gpg fingerprint:     F9F4 7243 4243 0043 2C45 97AF E8A4 C3AE 42EB 0BC6