[fab] Secondary Arches

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Nov 20 19:46:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 13:15, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore (dennis at ausil.us) said:
> > PPC does not need to be.  right now Extras has 3 open power boxes with 4
> > cpu's a piece.  there is no reason for PPC not to be built along with
> > x86_64 and i386 on the "internal" buildsys with the hardware we have.  I
> > have a T1000 and spot has a T2000 that can be used as sparc builders.
> > between them its 64 threads.  I'm quite happy to ship mine to Phoenix or
> > have it sit where it is and tap into the buildsys.
>
> I think using 'we can get hardware sent somewhere' as a delinator of the
> primary arch is a mistake. It should be what there is market (for lack of
> a better word) demand for, especially because of...
I never said that sparc should be primary arch  just that if it is needed
hardware can be made available where ever it is needed and PPC can still be
built when core is migrated to the new buildsys.  so it need not become a
secondary arch until we have everything in place for it to be 100% success.
Unless niagara based systems start flooding the market place  i don't see
sparc as having a large user base.  but i enjoy working on it.

> > if  it does get shipped to Phoenix we really will
> > need to have a vlan for the admin interfaces and move the dracs, etc into
> > it. Sun  saw fit to allow only telnet as the network access mechanism to
> > the ALOM and these boxes can only be powered on through the ALOM.
>
> ... things like this. I'm not particularly enamored of making extra
> maintenance burden for the admin team for arches that would encompass
> less than 1% of Fedora.
>
> Bill
As a member of the Admin team I agree.  It could be in the same network as
other things  but would be better in its own. at some point we will need to
separate some things out into an management network anyway.   it would just
be hastened.

--
 ,-._|\    Dennis Gilmore, RHCE
/      \   Proud Australian