[fab] Architecture Policy.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 21 16:42:18 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham schrieb:
> David Woodhouse (dwmw2 at infradead.org) said:
>> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 11:34 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>>> Primary: Red Hat drives the arch forward, ensures that it works, or
>>> else, Fedora is in a bad bad place.
>>> Secondary: Community drives the arch forward, ensures that it works,
>>> but if it doesn't, the majority of the Fedora universe remains intact.
>> Given that we have RHEL on PPC, Red Hat is going to support it in the
>> end anyway. With my Red Hat on, I observe that we do get a lot of
>> benefit from the existence of Fedora/PPC -- just as RHEL in general
>> benefits from the existence of Fedora.
> I highly doubt that. The platforms we support for RHEL have continually
> had issues throughout RHEL 5 that show that they *aren't* being tested
> with Fedora.

Just to trough my 2 cent into the ring:

With all the noise around
* the Playstation 3 and FC5/YellowDOG for the PS3
* Ubuntu considering dropping PPC support
* the quite new Cell arch that is only supported by FC currently
I'd say: Let PPC be a primary arch for F7 as that might give us some
nice bonus points in the community and some good press in the next few
months. Test and develop the secondary arch infrastructure with IA64 and
Sparc for F7. Discuss making PPC a secondary arch after F7 again if it
works fine for IA64/Sparc.

CU
thl