Metrics: RFC

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Nov 27 20:51:59 UTC 2006

http://lwn.net/Articles/211152/ quotes it thus:

>> 'Back in October, LWN covered Fedora's need for metrics on how many
>> people are using the distribution. The project has now put up a page
>> on possible data collection techniques with a request for comments.
>> Quite a few different approaches are being considered. "The fact is
>> that metrics are important for anyone trying to do something with
>> limited resources. It allows us to put what little resources we do
>> have to better use. If the developers spend 20% of their time
>> debugging PPC and our metrics show that they are 1% of our install
>> base, the argument could be made that less time needs to be spent on
>> PPC."'

There's enough FUD about what a support burden PPC is already; we don't
have to contribute to it with stuff like the above. The 20% figure is
completely unrealistic, and we all know it -- the fact that it's
presented as a hypothetical example doesn't really excuse the fact that
it's given so prominently and quotably.

Hence the request for it to be rephrased.

--
dwmw2