[fab] Re: Firefox splash page tracker

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 04:05:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 23:39 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > seth vidal wrote:
> > > hey guys,
> > >  The goal of this tracker is to determine how many folks we have
> > > installing fedora, right?
> > >
> > > If we can assume that it is likely that a user will be using
> > > yum/pirut/puplet in a default install then we should be able to gather
> > > the information on how many folks are using it (hence installing fedora)
> > > from the mirrors.fedoraproject.org mirrorlist generating program. It'll
> > > track hits against it and we can then mine those logs for the number of
> > > users w/o obtaining much other information than 'they used
> > > yum/pirut/puplet'.
> > >
> > > It also requires nothing of us other than putting a log watcher on
> > > fedoraproject.org.
> >

> > Does that track unique users or just hits?  Hits isn't that interesting.
> >   Unique visitors is.
>
> it's just a url running under apache. It tracks what apache tracks
> whenever someone hits a page. So, yes, definitely tracking unique
> visitors.

I'm perfectly happy to have a good answer that isn't as politically
charged as putting an image on a web page -- so long as it gets us
comparably useful data.

So let's be clear about what the two scenarios would count:

In the Firefox homepage scenario, we would count every unique IP for
everyone who opens a browser window while connected.

In the Yum mirror tracker scenario, we would count every unique IP for
everyone who ever runs yum and talks to any repo.

Do I understand correctly?

--g