[fab] Re: Firefox splash page tracker

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at bobjensen.com
Thu Oct 5 04:56:41 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 00:16 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:

>>> it's just a url running under apache. It tracks what apache tracks
>>> whenever someone hits a page. So, yes, definitely tracking unique
>>> visitors.
>> There are only two ways that I know of to track unique visitors.  1.
>> Cookies or 2. Explicit registration (or registration behind the scenes.)
>>
>> I suspect you're thinking of unique IPs (as greg mentions in other
>> email?)  Or do pup + friends track using cookies?
>
> Then you're correct, we're not tracking anything besides unique ips.
>
> -sv

Not knowing exactly what numbers are wanted from this task is making
this hard. I would think for total number of users/IPs the yum solution
would be much better as those without a GUI installed would never get
counted, if only desktop users are the number that is interesting then
the Splash Page is best I guess.

I would like to see perhaps a "Fedora Users Survey" as part of the FC7
splash page for more detailed information such as "How many Fedora
installs do you have?", "How do you use Fedora?", "Do you use other
Distros like A, B and C?", "Why do you use Fedora?"

--
Robert 'Bob' Jensen *        * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen
gpg fingerprint:     F9F4 7243 4243 0043 2C45 97AF E8A4 C3AE 42EB 0BC6