[fab] Re: splash page + tracking image example

Max Spevack max at spevack.org
Thu Oct 5 15:02:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> I don't believe we can.  In my opinion, we need *urgently* to start
> somewhere.  It's the difference between building a funding plan now and
> building it 6-9 months from now.

This paragraph sums up my concern best.  Greg did a superb job of
elaborating the issues, so I won't prat on about it, but he is 100%
correct when he says that any significant Fedora funding decisions require
stronger metrics than we have been able to provide.

Each day that we don't change that is a day in which we don't do anything
to help ourselves.

So from a high level I can say something like "I don't want us to ship fc6
without having some way to track how many people are actually *using*
fc6".  The firefox idea was a good way to track "Desktop" users -- folks
who have installed X.

Basically just counting unique IP addresses via yum is a good way to track
many different types of installations, basically people who are updating
regardless of their package set.

Those are two very different metrics.  But at this point I'd be happy with
either.  It just needs to be easily reportable.  And I think it would be
great if it were publicly-reported.  Even if we just have some little
piece of code somewhere that counts up logs for unique IP hits and posts
that number to as webpage.  If we're watching yum, that even tell us which
version of Fedora is producing the hits, since they will go to a different
repo.

I'd be perfectly fine with that.

In the interest of having this decision be made quickly (but also on this
list) I nominate Seth, Karsten, Bob Jensen, and Mike McGrath to make the
call of what they want to do.

Let's just get *something* for fc6.  And then we can do it "right" --
firstboot, survey, etc. after that.

--Max

--
Max Spevack