[fab] Re: Firefox splash page tracker

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 17:28:12 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 13:13 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:
>>> I'm not accusing you or even red hat of being the big brothers.
>>>
>>> There are plenty of them in the world. And recording what folks in
>>> various developing nations is practically a pass-time for a good portion
>>> of our government.
>> I guess I should be clear as well.  When you first reacted to what we
>> were proposing so violently it really surprised me.  I really had to sit
>> for a while and ask "is what I'm suggesting here pretty wrong?"  And as
>> a result, I think that I had to be more careful with my thinking and
>> what we were actually trying to do with this.
>>
>> So accuse away - it's constructive in a strange sense. :)
>>

> Do you remember when the patriot act passed and the details of what
> could happen started to be discussed? Remember the detail about the fbi
> being able to request the lists of what you checked out of a library or
> what books you bought from a bookstore. And the library/bookstore never
> being able to tell anyone if they had been contacted by the fbi? That's
> what I worry about.
>
> We're a library.

But we're not a library that's required to keep resources that connect a
specific person to a specific act.  Libraries have to because they are
lending a non-free good.

We're only able to say that some person, somewhere performed that act,
and we don't know the context or what they are doing with it.  As long
as we are very careful about the data that we collect - and I think
that's part of the promise that we need to make.

--Chris