[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Oct 20 14:25:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 09:12, Jesse Keating wrote:

> So some will say use 108, but others will say that 108 doesn't support the
> SCM of their choice.  There are some projects, things that are written
> specifically for Fedora and Fedora based distributions (like RHEL) that may
> want to develop out in the public space, with the SCM of their choice.
> Sending those people to sourceforge is not a very good solution, as I
> wouldn't wish sourceforge on anybody's project.  I suppose if we want the
> Fedora project to foster software development, and become that 'open source
> lab' that I keep hearing about, we probably should try to provide some
> infrastructure for these projects.  However it is a pretty big undertaking
> to try and provide something complete, repo, mailing list, webspace, bug
> tracking system, etc..  in such a way that we can easily add and segregate
> projects.
>
> Tough question :/

108 *is* the right solution, even if it still needs some work.  Instead of
throwing 108 aside, push to get 108 improved to do the job.  I also think
SourceForge would be a viable solution for some of these projects, but where
these people decide to host their projects is really up to them.  Our
position is simply to say "This is not the right place for your project, we
recommend that you try one of these other options..."  Some might even prefer
to use Google's new service.

It would be great for us to support these projects to the best of our ability,
but we should keep projects of these sorts separate from the infrastructure
that builds the distribution.  They are different types of projects that need
different solutions.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com