[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:50:48 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> git
> cvs
> hg
>
> tla/monotone/etc doesn't seem to have the groundswell behind it
> svn isn't overtly interesting to me beyond a couple of features as
> compared to cvs

Right, that's what I would pick as well.

Basically, how do we enable people to work as part of the larger
community?  That's what distributed SCMs allow you to do, and it's why
we should be supporting them.  Because we're part of that larger
community.  That's the metric that I would use.  Does adding this bring
more people into the fold, and enable them to get things done?  Does it
let them connect to the larger community in a meaningful way?

A side note, not really relevant to the meta discussion is that svn is a
"cvs that doesn't suck" and I would rather support it over cvs.  But if
we're talking about moving to a better SCM we might as well leapfrog
right to something like git.

--Chris