[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 17:16:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 10:47 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> In the long run however, we do need some easy way for Fedora
> contributors to build and host projects.  Such a system must be
> automated in allowing users to create hosted projects using a self-serve
> interface.
>
> Ubuntu's Launchpad is very powerful in its ability for anybody to create
> a hosted project with repositories and other services.  Even if the
> majority of sub-projects go nowhere, the flexibility and convenience
> does tend to allow projects to grow with close affiliations with the
> larger project.
>
> I personally witnessed the community enabling power of Launchpad while
> at the LTSP hackfest during September.  During the course of the event,
> the Canonical engineer convinced LTSP upstream that they can better
> track their upstream source by maintaining it in bazaar repositories
> hosted by Launchpad.  In one afternoon, they were able to create the
> project and checkin repositories, without any bureaucratic hassles or
> delays.

Yeah, I do that all the time with 108.

> The only real bad thing about Launchpad is that it itself is not FOSS.
> If Fedora creates an infrastructure to self-create projects and
> repositories like Launchpad, we would need to make it 100% FOSS.

Same as for 108, except 108 is a Red Hat thing, and we're clear where
our ticket is -- clearly in the FLOSS camp.

Again, I'm not suggesting 108 for Fedora, as we have cleared that up
previously.  Everyone jumped up and said they would help code a better
solution, and then no one did.  So, we're still where we were six months
ago, in both the Fedora and the 108 camps.

- Karsten

- Karsten