[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 17:22:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 10:29 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> I really think that depends on the type of project we're talking about.
>   To put it in more concrete terms, the livecd project it something
> that's specific to us.  It's not distro-independent, and probably never
> will be.  Given how long it took to even get my login working on 108, I
> don't think that it's a viable thing to sell to the community.

That's not a fair comparison.  You were an early adopter and actually a
special case; resolving your problem resolved the problem for countless
other users.  I thank you for your pain in being an alpha tester.  We
don't run into that anymore.  Just other problems. :)

> Especially given that it's not even an open project.

The project is open.  ONE PIECE of the infrastructure is mainly closed
source.  IF there were a viable, hosted solution that we could have
used, we would have.  IF we can make a better solution, it will
definitely be considered.

> And it was my impression that it was for Red Hat to interact with its
> customers, not for a way for Red Hat to interact with the larger
> community of developers.  Karsten might correct me on that, but I don't
> think I'm doing anyone an injustice by saying that.

Our first focus is the abandoned customer developers, and the new ones
we want to attract.  That's just sensible.  However, 108 is much more
than that.  It is in fact one of the ways that Red Hat is interacting
with the larger community of developers, where appropriate.  Not
replacing, but supplementing.

For example, we registered dev108.org specifically to act as an upstream
location for projects.  Right now, dev108.org points at the current
infrastructure.  Were we to start replacing components with FLOSS
pieces, perhaps it would all be on the sister-site of dev108.org.  Who
knows?

The point is, we get to that bright future by opening doors and windows,
not closing them.  It is vital that Red Hat developers understand and
support 108 in this, or else it is a lost battle before it has even left
the planning stage.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project