[fab] The Future of RPM - now's the time to decide

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Oct 26 05:21:21 UTC 2006

There's been a lot of discussion broken up in many places over the future of
RPM, all surrounding BZ 174307.  I'm not extremely familiar with all of the
background, but there's one thing that is clear:  upstream is a problem and
we need to decide how to deal with it.

I've seen a lot of talk about forking RPM, and I personally feel that's the
right way to go, but I haven't seen any final word on this.  Now, the future
of something as important as RPM can't be wholly determined by the community
without regard to Red Hat, but I think we can come up with a resolution here
and the right people can push that resolution through Red Hat.

I'm wanting to see two things:

 1. A definite "yes, we'll fork" or "no, we'll deal with jbj".
 2. In the case of a fork, someone needs an action item to lead the way.

Now is NOT the time to discuss dramatic changes in the package manager or
potential concerns over things like the tool's name, we just need to figure
out what path we're going to take for the long-term maintenance of RPM.

With FC6 out the door, and the PR pressure starting to build, we need to make
a decision ASAP so that we can move forward for FC7.  Let's rip off the
band-aid and let the healing begin.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com