cross-site bug tracking

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 20:53:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 02:43:51PM -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> You all know my thoughts on this -- but to recap:
>
> 1. Get engaged with the xmlrpc work that's going on in upstream bugzilla.
> Make sure it's good.  That takes care of the transport layer.
>
> 2. Work to get OpenID support into upstream bugzilla.  That takes care of
> the authentication layer.
>
> 3. Work on the web UI to implement the "send this bug to another instance
> of bugzilla".  That takes care of the interface layer.
>
> That's the winning strategy, I think.  The question is, who has the time
> to implement, or to oversee implementation?
>
> FWIW, I think it's pretty strategic, and a lot of these pieces are already
> happening, so it's probably a matter of someone doing a strong design
> exercise -- but my hands are full elsewhere.

+1

Bugzilla hacker Max Kanat-Alexander has been offering to help us
maintain our own Bugzilla instance for a while now.  Will would know
better than I, but from what I've heard there is internal resistance to
push forward with this due to the added overhead of having to deal with
yet *another* Bugzilla instance.

If we implement what Greg mentioned above, the issue of dealing with
another Bugzilla instance essentially becomes irrelevant.

luke