the all IRC Board meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 02:27:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 20:08 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Good:
> >
> > - enabled easily pulling in other people as needed
> > - very effective for getting status of various things
> >
> > Bad:
> >
> > - runs much slower
> > - I'm not sure we actually *decided* anything
> >
> > For things where we're polling for the status of various projects,
> > I think it's highly appropriate. For things where we need to stick
> > our heads together and decide stuff, I'm not so sure.
> >
> Agreed, it seemed very... busy.  Maybe if this is done again by the
> board they could do an IRC meeting where talking is by invitation only.
> I have no idea how to do that but I've seen the freenode ops do it
> before.  It may be more trouble then its worth but as long as everyone
> is given proper channels to communicate, like notification before the
> meeting or some such thing, I think others would be fine with it.

FWIW, I think this meeting was a great success in terms of communication
between the Board and the community.  I'd rather see a mixture of both
types of meetings rather than limiting voice as I think there's a need
for open community feedback sometimes as well as (I'm interpolating from
the "Bad" points above here) speedy decision making.  Perhaps one
meeting a month could be held this way?

The "actually decided" criticism might be a bit too harsh.  There's two
points I'd like to make:

1) I don't know whether that was inherent in the medium or not.  In the
Packaging Committee meetings spot sometimes has to say "Let's vote on
this now.  [Item to vote on]".  This breaks into ongoing discussions but
helps to define where we are at the moment and if there's a clear
majority with no quibbling (+/-0.5 and +0 votes), it becomes apparent
that although we won't reach consensus we've already made a decision and
need to move on.  For the board, where action items seem to predominate,
maybe someone needs to break in when they think an impasse has been
reached and say "This is where I think we're at.  How about PersonA does
this by next meeting to further our understanding of the issue?"

2) In that vein, my review of the meeting log finds these action items:
Merged Infrastructure:
f13 and mmcgrath:
  - Test the builders in high load situations and decide what HW to buy
by Friday.
  - Status report and preliminary estimate of where we'll be by F7
release by next week's Board Meeting.

Revisor:
jeremy, kanarip, daMaestro, BobJensen:
  - Meet tomorrow to try to find the best way for revisor to include
livecd functionality.

LiveDVD:
(I assumed that mspevack was doing this but could be wrong):
  - Get the spin and art to the DVD producers in California by early
next week.
jeremy: Make the liveCD kickstart available later today.

KDE spin:
rdieter: To send f13 a list of packages that need to be commitable by
the community.
f3: To evaluate and hopefully implement a way to do that by tomorrow.

Docs:
f13: will take a snapshot of the release notes after the translators are
done on the 14th.

-Toshio