RFC: Release team meetings

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 16:15:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> But the community and Red Hat employees didn't interact to well when
> Fedora was started years ago (they in fact didn't interact much more
> than in the RHL days when Fedora was young [say up to FC3/FC$]). It got
> a whole lot better in between, but the interaction between those two
> groups still needs to improve imho. Both sides afaics needs to learn how
> to interact better with each other to understand each others position
> and workflow -- then we'll hopefully sooner or later have a real Fedora
> *Project* with a community where it doesn't matter if someone is working
> for Red Hat or not, or if he is getting payed for his work by someone or
> does it in his spare time.
>
> We are on that way, but it's still a lot work to do. And even worse: I
> think we need to put the focus a bit more on community for some time to
> really send out the sign "Fedora is a community project" to the press
> and the Linux enthusiast out there. Then we hopefully  might get rid of
> things like http://www.arouse.net/despair-linux/fedora.jpg
> in the end. That's by the way the reason why I request things like "the
> goal should be that all packages that formerly were part of Fedora Core
> should have co-maintainers from the community after the merge" (¹) or
> "FESCo should have at least 50% community members".

+1.

The purpose for governance, in this context, is to ensure "external to Red
Hat" participation.  In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to do this;
Redhatters and non-Redhatters would participate easily together.

In the real world, Redhatters have hallway conversations all the time, and
it requires effort and discipline, and sometimes rules, to make sure that
those hallway conversations do not dominate the project.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager