Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 23 02:37:54 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:

> Your request is noted.  There are other proposals at the moment as well.
> Thorsten mentioned changing what the disttag was in devel.  Could you
> take a look at his proposal and see if you find it to be
> better/worse/complementary to yours?

I don't like the idea. I agree with the analysis in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-April/msg00412.html.

I would prefer a rebuild but if we are not going to rebuild all the
packages with dist tags in future releases just dropping the number in
"fcX" and instead using "fc" in all packages might just be better.

It would send the clear message that you can't rely on the number (since
there won't be any) in the package name to match the release. What other
purpose does the number in the package name serve other than to indicate
the release it was meant for?

Rahul