Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 03:56:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 08:07:54AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

 > I would prefer a rebuild but if we are not going to rebuild all the
 > packages with dist tags in future releases just dropping the number in
 > "fcX" and instead using "fc" in all packages might just be better.

The entire purpose of the dist tag is to discriminate between
two otherwise same version packages across two releases.
Changing it to 'fc' serves no purpose at all.

 > It would send the clear message that you can't rely on the number (since
 > there won't be any) in the package name to match the release. What other
 > purpose does the number in the package name serve other than to indicate
 > the release it was meant for?

1.0.fc6 and 1.0.fc7 of a package are not necessary just a rebuild, they
may contain different configuration options for example.  For this
reason, getting bugs against '1.0.fc' would leave the question of
"which 1.0" unanswered.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk