Help with Fedora's criteria for project imports?

Margaret Lum mlum at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 23:49:29 UTC 2007

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Margaret Lum wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I work for Red Hat, in the Identity Management team. I'm a release
>> engineer, and my team is working on further open sourcing the
>> Certificate System. The section on ForbiddenItems appears rather
>> vague, so is it possible for a member of the board to assist our team
>> with reviewing (or helping to review) some of what we are planning to
>> open source. Does this include code reviews (meetings thereof),
>> upload-reject-re-upload-re-review scenarios, or could the process be
>> relatively simple for our 13-odd packages that need to be migrated?
>
> There's two sets of issues, I'm guessing: pacakaging (technical) and
> licenses (legal/policy).
>
> Which are you more concerned about? Because they're probably separate
> conversations.
>
> --g

Hi Greg,

I'm concerned about the prospect of submitting requests for approval to
import our sanitized components, but being rejected for non-licensing
issues. Technically, I believe we have our ducks in a row, but the
"legal stuff" is where a nebulous cloud currently hangs.

Rex offered to help us out, so I'm going to speak with him. I know that
we need to have our licenses updated to (L)GPL, be package-able through
Koji, have all the necessary mailing lists, groups, ACLs, remove
branded-proprietary code (we came from Netscape/AOL and have government
contracts), adopt the Fedora development process, and likely exclude
signing from our releng process (until there's a RH-sponsored
non-ncipher possibility in the near future). What I'm wondering is --
what else is there?

Thanks for any help/thoughts.