LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 18:50:35 UTC 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 2007, "Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We don't ship any "code" that is proprietary. We only permit
>>> firmware that is freely redistributable without restrictions.
>>
>> Well, sorry, but that is proprietary code.  This line-drawing is just
>> double-thinking.

> Look at http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html. In these only one does
> not have non-free firmware inside the kernel.

Once more time, I'm not talking about the firmware in the kernel.

That's harder to remove, I agree.  One has to get out of one's way to
do that.

I'm talking about going out of our way to *add* firmware that we could
perfectly well leave for others to ship.

If there's indeed commitment to Free Software, one would hope we'd
eventually get to inside the kernel, but all I'm talking about ATM is
the non-Free stuff that we add to the distro ourselves.