LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 30 18:57:51 UTC 2007

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Once more time, I'm not talking about the firmware in the kernel.
>
> That's harder to remove, I agree.  One has to get out of one's way to
> do that.

Just pointing out that you are drawing a line between firmware inside
the kernel and firmware outside of it while Fedora is drawing a line
between firmware and other forms of proprietary software. If one of
these is double thinking so is the other one. Atleast in Fedora the
division is clearly documented in the packaging guidelines.

> I'm talking about going out of our way to *add* firmware that we could
> perfectly well leave for others to ship.
>
> If there's indeed commitment to Free Software, one would hope we'd
> eventually get to inside the kernel, but all I'm talking about ATM is
> the non-Free stuff that we add to the distro ourselves.

You need to bring this up Fedora 7 launch. Now is too late to be making
changes for this release.

Rahul