[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Feb 6 15:50:04 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
> The build service isn't particularly interesting, mostly because the
> model we're moving towards is to move as much outside of the firewall as
> much as possible.  It's kind of odd, actually, any time I run into any
> of the suse folks, all they want to talk about is the build service.
> Not a lot of value there, imho?

It behooves all of us to make linux software easier to install- as
easy as xpis in mozilla, or app bundles in osx. Once you do that,
developers can focus more on development and less on packaging, users
can more reliably get newer/better versions with less pain, etc.

The build service is a very kludgy solution to this, but for users and
non-distro developers it is a step in the right direction if it gets
used. It gives them value, even if there is very little value in it
for the distros.

(I can rant on about this at great length; probably best not to get me
started ;)

Luis