[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 8 21:54:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:49 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> > >
> > > Now that everyone gave their opinions, what are the items you (FAB)
> > > want to bring forward?
> > > - marketing ?
> > > - better compatibilities [src.rpm,...]?
> > > - KDE ?
> >
> > I don't seem to be overly negative, but what is a concrete example of a
> > possible way to cooperate in a meaningful way?
> >

> "Nasa spent over a million dollars developing a pen that would write
> in space.  The soviets solved the same problem... by using a pencil"
>
> Probably not true but the message is valid.  They're doing very
> similar things that we are and we both could have lots to learn from
> eachother if communications are there.  Pride seems to be the biggest
> wall between us.

I'm willing to sit down and listen to what they have to say, but I
wonder if the ideological differences between our parents (Red Hat,
Novell) will keep us from breaking real ground together.

Or, let me put it this way:

If they have tangible ideas on how we could work together, I'd be
interested in hearing them.

If anyone in Fedora has tangible ideas on how we could benefit from
working with OpenSuSE, I'd be interested in hearing them (and willing to
present them in person).

If they just want us to publicly endorse them and be their "friend",
then I'm not sure there's much interest in doing that.

~spot