Extending FC5 lifecycle?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Feb 19 14:30:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 07:50:18PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Right. I was just unsure whether it applied retroactively from FC5 or
> just for FC6 and future releases. I have updated
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle and
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ.  I intend to send out this
> announcement to fedora-announce list. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

> Extending the life cycle of Fedora releases
>
> As proposed earlier in the Fedora Summit [1], Fedora Project has decided
> to extend the life cycle of Fedora releases. Previously every release of
> Fedora reaches end of life after FCn+2 test 2 is released which is
> approximately 9 months. We have now extended this such that every
> release of Fedora is maintained for a month after FCn+2 is released.

Maybe add "resulting to a net release life of approximately 13
months"? We'd like to stress the improvement of 4 additional months,
many users will not really know the internals of Fedora release
cycles.

> This means end users of Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6 will now get
> updates till after a month after the release of Fedora 7 and 8
> respectively. This was planned to allow end users the ability to
> optionally skip every other release and directly upgrade from N to N+1
> release of Fedora.

You mean "from N to N+2".

> More details available at in our FAQ [2]
>
> [1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess
> [2]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Rahul

There was also the forward pointing announcement from Fedora Legacy
where it was said that while Fedora Legacy is shutting down efforts
were underway to extend the life span of Fedora releases in another
way. Do you want to mention Fedora Legacy in the above context? Maybe
Jesse has some suggestion.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net