Good riddance, ESR

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:42:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 10:17 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> I don't think that responding to ESR is the right way to go.  It just
> legitimizes the tactics, even considering how _far_ off base he was in
> most of his claims.
>
> But I do like the idea of doing a bit of work around summarizing the
> huge changes that we've made since FC5 and FC6 and what F7 will mean to
> the community and what we have in the pipeline.  Both in terms of
> community development and participation but also pushing the platform
> and technology forward.  We're doing great work.  (And when I say We I
> don't mean the people at Red Hat, who are doing great work, but I mostly
> mean everyone outside who is totally rocking at building a great free
> software distribution.)
>
> What I find truly strange in the light of his departure is that I've
> never felt more bullish about our future.  ESR's departure comes at a
> strange time because we're at the cusp of something great.  And I think
> we need to talk about that.

+1 all around.  There are a number of news outlets and editorials that
have also basically shrugged, saying, "So what?"  The right time to toot
our horn will be at F7 release time when we have a great milepost to
shows off how much has changed and how many improvements we've made.
Plenty of unofficial community outlets already exist for countering the
factual inaccuracies and bluster we've seen recently.